Venture to remote Neets Bay aboard your Alaskan-built expedition vessel to view the endearing black bears of Southeast Alaska.
For more information call the Ketchikan office at 1(907)225-8100.
PriceAdults- $289.95 (tax included)
Children ages 3-12 - $289.95 (tax included)
Call us to inquire about our local’s discount!
Season DatesSelect dates August - September
Tour Highlights• Visit one of the most productive salmon hatcheries in Southeast Alaska in search of Alaska’s popular black bears.
• Cruise past downtown Ketchikan’s dynamic and colorful waterfront. Enjoy photo opportunities of Totem Bight State Park, Guard Island Lighthouse, and more.
• Relax in the warm, comfortable, spacious main cabin, surrounded by large windows or step outside onto the outside observation deck for maximum wildlife viewing.
• Once your Captain turns into Neets Bay, the slow hushed shoreline cruise begins in search of black bear on the beach.
• The onboard crew will assist in pointing out wildlife in the area, including chance sightings of harbor seals, sea lions, whales, and orcas.
• Enjoy the return cruise to Knudson Cove where your 14 passenger vans await at the end of a short, uphill walk. Aboard the vans, enjoy the scenic coastal drive down the North Tongass Highway as your driver/guide provides commentary on the way back to downtown Ketchikan.
What to Bring• Keep a rain jacket, hat, and gloves close at hand at all times
• Warm layers and comfortable walking shoes
• Camera, handheld video equipment, and/or binoculars
• USD Cash / Credit Cards for onboard purchases
Vessel Amenities• Complimentary hot chocolate, coffee, tea, and select snacks
• Additional beverages, including alcohol, and snacks available for purchase in the galley
• Souvenirs sourced from Alaskan makers available in the gift shop
• Spacious outdoor observation deck
• Climate controlled interior seating with panoramic windows
• Includes one, or more, restroom(s)
Good to KnowWildlife Sighting Wildlife sightings are frequent, but not guaranteed. Due to exclusivity permits in Neets Bay, this excursion will not be able to land ashore to view bears; your understanding is appreciated.
Motion Sickness Persons sensitive to motion sickness may wish to take medication at least one hour prior to the tour departure time.
Participation RequirementsAge Restrictions We welcome guests of all ages onboard but like to give parents travelling with younger children additional information about the tour. Most infants and toddlers become very unhappy on this trip due to the long tour length and small boat size. There is not much room to roam around inside, but there is walking space outside on the observation decks. This space is exposed to the elements and rather cold. Please note: there are no changing tables available, and there is no room for strollers onboard. While there is no charge for children two years old & younger, all guests must have a ticket due to coast guard regulations.
Accessibility This tour is not wheelchair accessible. Tour activity includes navigating flat docks, tide variable ramps, and a maintained uphill walking trail. Guests will walk approximately 250-300 yards total.
CancellationCancellation Policy A $10/person processing fee will be charged for cancellations made after the booking is confirmed. No refund will be made for cancellations made less than 48-hours prior to tour departure. If the tour is cancelled by the operator for any reason, the customer will receive a full refund.
Tour Minimums Tours do need to hit a minimum capacity to run. We will contact guests 48 hours in advance if tour has not reached the minimum.
Please Read Regarding COVID 19• As the federal requirements for masking while on public transportation have dropped, we are updating our masking protocols. Masks are now optional for guests. We will continue to adhere to any requirements from the Department of Transportation, the US Coast Guard, and the City and Borough of Ketchikan should these policies change throughout the season.
Arriving via cruise?
Due to our current COVID 19 mitigation plan, all reservations must be made through your cruise ship’s shore excursion website. Please feel free to reach out to us to see which tours may be available for your ship. Thank you for your understanding while we do our best to uphold all COVID-19 mitigation plans with our partners.
Allen Marine is committed to the long-standing relationships we have cultivated with our cruise line partners. Booking through your cruise line’s website is the most expedient and effortless way to book a trip and includes several built-in benefits and guarantees including worry-free transportation to and from your ship. Finally, you will have the added bonus of a dedicated shore excursions team who will be available to help answer questions and make arrangements should your tour be cancelled or changed due to weather, itinerary changes, or other unforeseen circumstances. The value you receive by booking through your cruise line is truly outstanding.